What causes home grown tomatoes to remain small?

Advertisements


Are you an avid tomato gardener who loves growing tomato plants? Well, if you are, then you would have surely experienced that your tomatoes are sometimes small, even though you bought high quality organic tomato seeds. If you have, then you will certainly want to figure out the reason, so that your next batch of tomatoes grows large and juicy. So, exactly what causes home grown tomatoes to remain small? In this post, I will look at some of the major causes for tomatoes not growing to full size.

Small variety tomatoes

Even if you have used store grade, organic tomato seeds, some varieties of tomato plants will just not produce large tomatoes. Certain types of seeds will produce tomatoes that become fully mature at a small size, and these tomatoes will ripen like normal tomatoes. Your local gardening store may only supply seeds for the smaller varieties (like cherry tomatoes). If this is the problem that you have, then try purchasing your organic tomato seeds online. By buying them this way, you will have a wider selection of tomato seeds to choose from, and you can be sure to find seeds which will produce larger tomatoes. I suggest that you try to get the big boy variety, as the tomatoes are huge and full of flavor. They are also one of the simplest types to grow.

Lack of water

This is another major factor which causes home grown tomatoes to remain small. You may be using seeds which are supposed to produce bigger tomatoes, but if you do not know how to water your tomato plants, then you may get small tomatoes. You need to ensure that your tomato plants have adequate water to produce large fruit. Remember that most of a tomato is water, and therefore a lack of it will cause stunted growth. Try to water your tomatoes every day if you live in a hot climate. The best time to water you garden is early in the morning, so you plant can absorb all it needs, and excess water can evaporate.

Now that you know what causes homegrown tomatoes to remain small, I'm sure that your next crop will not have any problems. Just keep in mind that you need to choose a type of tomato that naturally grows bigger, and that you need to water your tomato garden daily. Follow these simple steps, and you can have huge tomatoes, right in your own garden.

13 comments:

  1. I got every plant producing loads of tiny tomatoes. The plants were kept all lush and green by watering a lot and the trays underneath had plenty of water that I let dry out before watering again. I think I used regular flower pots with the bottoms in tact. The roots may be too restricted and I only had an inch of gravel in the trays anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should have a drainage hole too and then the gravel, but what do I know...mine are small too. See below

      Delete
  2. My tomatoes aren't getting large either and I water every day and I'm growing Parks Whopper and Better Boy. Each is in a 10 gallon pot with drainage. I bought soil containing plant food but have added Epsom salts twice and plant food three times. Is my pot to small. They get 2.5 inch diameter and that it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you need to prune the suckers from the plants this ensures that only the fruit from the main steam is growing ...the suckers take away nutrients and energy growing more tomatoes as opposed to larger ones and prune the foliage from the bottom of the plant up six inches and this ensure proper nutrients to the plant hence large fruit

      Delete
  3. Maybe you should try the HH - 2 method,
    as found on my web site:

    www.suaglon.co.uk
    (Sustainable Agriculture London)
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine were awesome last year. This year, very very slow growing and small tomatoes, like cherry tomato size. When they are larger sized tomato plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing tomatoes in containers is indeed a very flexible and productive gardening practice. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your container gardens, as tomatoes are generally hardy plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planted six roma tomato plants and all grew small. I thought I watered enough, not every morning but in the evenings too. Some started to split but still good. I did pick about forty to fifty everyother day and they're still coming. My cayanne peppers also grew small. Early girls tomatoes were fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I planted Marmande variety from seeds in raised beds in a shade house with well rotted chicken manure and I am getting both large and small tomatoes from the same trees. I live in Trinidad and it has been quite hot as it is the dry season. I am currently watering heavier to see whether it will make a difference.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. My tomatoes are delicious & perfectly formed and small. Came on here to find out why. They started off bigger and seem to be petering out. 7 weeks no rain- I had to water 2 x a day. Was so hot. I fertilize with a tomato fertilizer as well - every 2 weeks. I've pruned the suckers several times - my tomatoes are NOT neglected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good work with pruning off the suckers – that should increase the amount of nutrients available to the other tomatoes. The fact that there are suckers (healthy ones, I assume?) suggests that there is enough Nitrogen in the soil for stem formation.

      What NPK (Nitrogen Phosphorous Potassium) ratio does your tomato fertilizer have? Phosphorous encourages flowering and may help to increase the number of tomatoes. Potassium will help to increase the size and flavor of tomatoes.

      Also, are there any different plants growing in your garden compared to when you were getting larger tomatoes? Some plants don’t make good companions for tomatoes:
      1. Vegetables such as potatoes and cabbages should not be grown alongside your tomato plants.
      2. The roots of black walnut trees give off a toxic substance called juglone which may inhibit your tomatoes.

      What variety of tomatoes are you growing, by the way?

      Thanks for stopping by,
      ~ Edward

      Delete
  9. I am having a problem with the small tomatoes. It is not just me in our area, we even a produce stand near us and they grow their own tomatoes and all look like golf balls. I like a tomato that is big enough to put one slice on a piece of bread and make a sandwich. I have tried everything, and every kind of soil. I grow the tomatoes in my flower garden in the ground with lot of mulch. I think it has something to do with the weather or the seed they sell. Even the plants I buy are like that. I will try the Epson salts next year, to late this year. I live in GA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in North Carolina for some strange reason I can't produce tomatoes 1 - 2 lbs or more I read that you are not suppose to water tomato plants every day then I read on here to water every day. What is the right thing to do about watering. Seems like if I water too much I get bottom rot tomatoes. This year not rot but the big tomatoes are growing. I use miracle grow once a week.what else am I missing

    ReplyDelete

Tomatoes growing in this section!

Planting Tomato Plants

Be a Tomato Gardener?